Bedford Fire Dept. No. 1 Inc. proudly protects 11000 people living in an area of 210 square miles. We operate out of 2 stations that protect a primarily rural area. Our department is a public department whose members are on a volunteer status.
Our Dept. was established in 1804 by an ordinance of the Bedford Borough. Our first station was located on Penn Street between the Court House and old Bedford Jail. Members then purchased 2 lots at 244 West Penn Street in 1949 for the purpose of building a new Fire Station. Ground was broken March 8, 1949 with an estimated building cost of $100,000. Through the hard work of members, this station was completed on May 31, 1950 at a cost of $60,000. It is still currently used by the Dept. as our main station and meeting area. We share this building with the Borough, Water Authority, and Borough Police. In 1979 the Dept. broke ground again on our second lot for the purpose of building a second station for the housing of our aerial, tanker, and rescue, which will not fit in the original hall because of height and weight restrictions. The Bedford Fire Dept. is funded mainly by donations from the generous residents. The bulk of the donations are received through our door to door fund drive held each Spring. In addition to that we also hold two 200 Club drawings, one in the Spring and the other in the Fall. Each August you can also find our firefighters selling hot sausage sandwiches at the Bedford Fair. In Oct., at the Bedford Fall Foliage Festival, we are again hard at work. This time we are selling steak sandwiches in front of the Bedford Saint Thomas School. We encourage everyone to stop by and enjoy a great sandwich. We are very thankful for everyone's support during these fund raising events!