The Dayton Volunteer Fire Department proudly protects 20000(est.) people living in an area of 144 square miles. We operate out of Two stations that protect a primarily residential area. Our department is a public department whose members are on a volunteer status.
The first Dayton Volunteer Fire Department was established in 1930, after numerous Depot Street (down town) structures burned to the ground in 1929. The station was a lean-to building/shed located on Bryan Street. The Dayton City Hall and Fire Station was built sometime in the span of 1935-39, and was a W.P.A. Program building. The Dayton Volunteer Fire Department currently has 35 active members and a Ladies Auxiliary. The first D.V.F.D. pumper truck was built from scratch by it's members in the late 1930's. The first purchased fire apparatus by the department, was a 1940 Ford Pumper custom built in Detroit, Michigan, and brought to the city by the D.V.F.D.'s own members. The department has purchased it's own equipment throughout the years, thanks to donations and fund raising. The current department hosts five pumper trucks, two grass trucks ( a jeep, and a one-ton), one emergency truck, one rescue van equipped with the jaws of life, one rescue boat, and one chief's truck. The Dayton Volunteer Fire Department is ranked in the Top Ten in the State of Texas for a department of it's size, and is counted on throughout Liberty County and parts of Harris County to back up the numerous other volunteer fire departments and agencies. The D.V.F.D. was and continues to be 100% volunteer, and continues to support itself by help from our community