Middleport is located on the Ohio river in southeastern Ohio and was named for being the "middle-port" between Pittsburgh and Cincinnati. The Middleport Fire Department is an all volunteer organization that was founded in the mid 1800s. Our coverage area is approximately 47 square miles of primarily residential and small commercial occupancy in the village, and rural residential and farming outside of the village. We have mutual aid agreements with all area fire departments in Meigs and Gallia counties in Ohio and Mason county West Virginia. We also run automatic response on all structure fires with neighboring Pomeroy Fire Department. In 1937, we established what is believed to be the first all volunteer emergency squad in the state of Ohio. This squad continued to operate until the mid 1990s when training requirements and call volume combined with the lack of new recruits, forced the squad service to be discontinued. Soon after, a first responder squad was established to respond to serious EMS calls and assist until a medic squad arrives. We currently have 26 active members operating 2 engines, 1 quint, 1 brush fire truck, 1 first responder vehicle, and 1 rescue boat out of 1 station located at 286 Race street. Anyone in the area is always welcome to stop and visit.