The Bremen Volunteer Fire Department was founded in 1969 when the community purchased it's first fire engine; a 1941 GMC which was purchased from the Central City Fire Department for $300. Originally, the truck was housed in a portion of the Agriculture Building of the Bremen High School until a new building was constructed in 1971. The original building consisted of three truck bays and two offices with one serving as the department's office and the other as the City's office. Eventually, the entire building would serve as the fire department which continued to grow. New trucks would be acquired and new bays would be added. In 2004, the department underwent renovations again. As a receipent of a 2003 Assistance to Firefighters Grant, the existing office and one spare bay was renovated to create a new office and a training room. Today, the department consists of 5 bays, one office, and one training room. The department houses 5 fire apparatus and has a roster of 25 members including 8 Emergency Medical Technicians.