Officially named the Salem Township Volunteer Fire Department, Company Number 1, the department was established on July 10, 1956, during a meeting at the V and F Hall in Slickville. The original six members at the meeting that day were H. J. Stockberger, Harry Dydew, S. J. Grabiak, Bernard Vangrin, John Vantorek and Walter Burlack. Seven months later, the department purchased its first truck, an American La France engine. The truck was equipped with a 500 gallon booster tank and a 500 gallon per minute pump. Because much of Salem Township would remain rural in the years to come, the next purchase was a tanker, for areas where fire hydrants were not available. For six years, a garage for the trucks was provided by the Nick Kitch family. Funds were raised by the community and the department through events including raffles, an ox roast, bingo, a bazaar, luncheons, carnivals and a barn dance. On Oct. 8, 1959, the department purchased a 150 by 190 foot lot from the Dydew family for $2,500. The lot was located between between properties owned by the Repasky family and the post office. In January, 1962, a mortgage of $29,000 was authorized through Saltsburg Bank for the construction of Slickville's current fire hall. Initially, construction was split into two parts: project one consisted of construction of a combined engine and community room. The purpose of project two was to construct a second floor. A community dedication program was held on Oct. 27, 1963, signifying the completion of project one. For various reasons, project two, including replacement of the original, flat roof and the addition of a second floor, was not completed until 39 years later, in January, 2002.