Pleasant Township Fire Department proudly protects 4500 people living in an area of 29.1 square miles. We operate out of one station that protects a primarily rural area. Our department is a public department whose members are on a volunteer status.
Pleasant Township Fire Department was founded in 1951. The first truck was a 1951 Ford Pumper/Tanker. The departments first chief was Melvin (Sam) Seiter and there were 33 original volunteers, one of them recently retired from the department, Mr Giles Hoch. Chief Seiter and his family lived in the station, which had one bay for the truck and a living area for him and his family. The firemen were activated by either a siren or the telephone fire-bar. In 1983 the department received its first paging system. Marion County established a 911 system in 1988 and we recieved our first 911 call on Feburary 6, 1988 at 12:14am A new truck was added in 1984. It is a 1984 Chevy Fire-Cat Engine and is still our primary vehicle. The '51' Ford was sold in 1987 and a new Tanker was purchased. It is a 1987 Ford, and it is still our only tanker. Please view our apparatus page to see our current equipment. In 1979 the women of Pleasant township got involved with the department by forming a Ladies Auxilary. They provided medical needs for the township and fire fighters with the help of a private ambulance service. In 2001 we started the First Responder Program, providing medical assistance up to the paramedic level. However, we do not transport patients, that is still contracted to a private service.