East Moline Fire Department proudly protects 20,333 people living in an area of 11 square miles. We operate out of 3 stations that primarily protect residential areas. Our department is a municipal department whose members are on a paid status.
East Moline Fire Department was established in 1903, with the appointment of Louis Bornhoeft as the cities first Fire Chief. In 1903, the fire apparatus consisted of a hose cart, which had several lengths of hose, and a couple of straight pipe nozzles. The hose cart was pushed and pulled by manpower. We have come a long way since then. We now have two paramedic engines that respond to medical calls. We are continuing to expand our city boundaries. Under the direction of Chief Robert DeFrance we have seen many improvements. Since his arrival in 1998, we have received Illinois First Grant Funds for new SCBA Equipment; we have purchased new Turnout Gear, a Thermal Imaging Camera, and a new 2003 Rescue Pumper.