The Mt. Vernon Fire Department was organized in 1897, with its first members being a "bucket brigade." Shortly thereafter, the department obtained a manual pump cart and ladder wagon that could be pulled either by hand or by horse. Between the years of 1900 and 1910, Mt. Vernon Firefighters were three-time hook and ladder state champions. The firefighters also formed a town band during that time. In 1920, the Mt. Vernon Fire Department became a "motorized" department with the purchase of an American LaFrance Fire engine. Since the departments beginging our mission has been to provide the best service possible in order to save lives and protect property.