The Passaic Fire Department proudly protects 82,000 people living in an area of 3.2 square miles. We operate out of 2 stations that protect a mixed urban and residential area. The Passaic Fire Dept. was founded in 1873. It became a Career Dept. in 1910. It was the first fully motorized Dept. East of the Mississippi River due in part to the woollen and silk mills in town haveing purchased fire apparatus for the Department. Though we are 3.2 sq, miles 3/4 sq. mi. is in parklands so all the population is squeezed into about 2.7 sq. miles. We serve 2 hospitals,3 nursing homes, 17 high rises, 27 schools,3 SARA III facilities, a railroad (passenger and freight, and a river. 75% of the buildings predate 1939. We average about 3000 alarms per year.