Albert Lea Fire & Inspection

Albert Lea Fire & Inspection Department proudly protects 17923 people living in an area of 12.72 square miles. We operate out of 1 station that protects commercial & residential areas. Our department is a public department whose members are on a combination of paid and volunteer status.

The City of Albert Lea Fire Department was organized by a group of volunteers on Nov. 22, 1870 and consisted of 30 volunteers. The City Hall building was completed in 1903 on North Broadway and housed the Fire Department on two floors. The first motor driven pumper was purchased in August of 1918. On May 1, 1948 the department went to a fully paid organization with one full time chief, fourteen firefighters and four sleepers. In 1968, the Fire Department moved to it's present location at 221 E. Clark St. in the City Center. On October 15, 1991, the City entered into an agreement with the Albert Lea Township Fire Department(stationed in the City limits) to act as part-time firefighters for the City Fire Department. As a combination department we now have: 1 Chief, 3 Captains, 3 Lieutenants, 16 full-time firefighters & 15 part-time firefighters. Our territory covers 12.72 sq. miles, as listed above, which is all within the City limits of Albert Lea. However, we do mutual aid with 15 other volunteer departments in the County(Freeborn).