West Newbury Fire Department proudly protects 4262 people living in an area of 14.60 square miles. We operate out of 2 stations that protect a primarily residential area. Our department is a public department whose members are on a paid on call status.
West Newbury Fire Dept started after the fire at the T.S. Ruddock Shoe Company in March 4, 1884. The Newburyport Herald headline was, West Newbury Searches its own Heart and Decides to Buy A Fire Engine Mr Haydn Brown presented a schedule of the cost of a steamer, engine house and hose the brought the expense within 3,500. They decided to buy a steamer built by L.Button and Son of Waterford New York. It was named the Haydn Brown. This is how the West Newbury Fire Dept was started.