<?xml:namespace prefix = dme />
MANCHESTER VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT
In May of 1908, Saenger Hall, which was located on the southwest corner of Manchester and Henry Roads, caught fire. Neighbor awakened neighbor, and a bucket brigade was organized and worked through the night. Saenger Hall and the building on the west side were completely demolished. It was at this time some of the men in the community decided some organized form of fire protection was needed.
WEST COUNTY EMS & FIRE PROTECTION DISTRICT
In February 1996, the District officially changed its name to the West County EMS & Fire Protection District thus better reflecting the communities served. The District covers approximately 21 square miles of St. Louis County and serves a resident population of approximately 51,000. The District currently has 63 employees, 57 line personnel and 6 Administrative Staff. In 2009, the voters approved a 19-million dollar bond issue for the purpose of constructing new facilities and up-dating equipment. In 2010 and 2011 we purchased new apparatus and up-dated our firefighting and life-saving equipment.
During the last quarter of 2011 we anticipate opening our Advanced Center of Excellence and Public Education facility. Located behind our engine house #2 on 7 acres of previously undeveloped land, several buildings and training props will provide both the public and our employees the opportunity to develop knowledge and skills.