Born as the Garfield Volunteer Firemans' Association in 1947 to provide fire protection to the southern-most portion of what was then Willoughby Township. Became the Willoughby Hills Fire Department in 1954 when the Village of Willoughby Hills was incorporated. The City of Willoughby Hills is approximately 17 square miles and is located approximately 16 miles east of Cleveland at the Interstate 90 and 271 split. W.H.F.D. currently consists of 10 career members (Chief, 3 Captains, 3 Lieutenants, and 3 Fire-Medics), and approximately 25 part-time members.