Darien-Woodridge Fire Protection District (DWFPD) proudly protects 30000 people living in an area of 13 square miles. We operate out of 3 stations that protect a primarily residential area. Our department is a public department whose members are on a combination of paid and volunteer status.
The Department was founded in 1952 as the Downers Grove Estates Fire Protection District. The first station (North Station) was built in an unincorporated sub-division of Downers Grove called Downers Grove Estates. The Department was all volunteer funded by donations and property taxes. The District now provides service to half of the City of Darien, parts of the Village of Woodridge, portions of the Village of Downers Grove and areas of Unincorporated DuPage County. The District is almost soley funded by Property Taxes. We have 30 full-time and 25 part-time personnel. 1965- Built a new station (South Station) on 75th street in unincorporated Downers Grove. 1979- Started providing the residents with Advanced Life Support (ALS) ambulance service. 1987- Changed the name of the department to Darien-Woodridge Fire Protection District to better represent the areas we provided service to. Sold old North Station. 1988- Residents of Belmont Fire Protection District and Darien-Woodridge Fire Protection District voted by referendum to merge the two departments. This gave the department two stations and approximately 30 new personnel. 1990- Built Station 3 at the intersection of 87th and Lemont Rd. in unincorporated Downers Grove. 1997- Started construction on a new Headquarters Station with completion in September 1998. This facility has a 4 story training tower and a state of the art Training Room that will hold 80 people. New Station Dedication on November 15, 1998. Certified by the Office of the State Fire Marshal As a Regional Training Center. The first in the State of Illinois to be certified. In 2002 we celebrated 50 years of serving our residents.