Decatur Township Fire Department proudly protects 24000 people living in an area of 33 square miles. We operate out of 4 stations that protect a primarily residential area. Our department is a public department whose members are on a combination of paid and volunteer status.
DTVFD was started in 1948 in a garage owned by the first Fire Chief (Glen Gray). There were 13 members and the first truck was a 1938 Ford pick-up with a portable pump mounted in the bed. The first paid firefighters(3)started in July 1987 and a paid Fire Chief in the January of 1994. In 1989, we also went to a county wide radio system(800Mhz). We currently average 1800 fire/ems runs a year with 91 members and 17 pieces of equipment.