Marietta Fire Department proudly protects 14500 people living in an area of 10 square miles. We operate out of 3 stations that protect a primarily residential area. Our department is a public department whose members are on a paid status.
According to Marietta's Register of Fire, the actual log-book of fire incidents, beginning October 12, 1894 City Council reported and the Mayor recommended the appointments of Marietta's first paid Fireman. The department was led by Chief A. Dean Alderman, whom was paid $100.00 a month. The men were paid $35.00 a month, and the nightmen were paid $100.00 a year. The first paid day of the department was December 1, 1894. Housed in the station near 3rd and Putnam Streets, was Hose Company #1, drawn by Kit & Clara, the dapple gray mares known for their beauty and ability to respond. The department had two steam engines in reserve. The city had a 1888 Gamewell Fire Alarm System, which rang into Hose Company #1. In Harmar, Hose Company #2 was maned and temporarly pulled by a team of mules named Deck & George in December 1899 under Chief Earl Davis. In 1912 under Chief George B. Holst, the department became motorized. A Robinson piston pump and a Seagraves-Robinson ladder wagon were the first of this nature. In 1917 the horse teams were phased-out, when a LaFrance Hose/Chemical Wagon was placed into service. Today the department has 35 Firefighters trained as EMT's, Paramedics, and Haz-Mat Technicians working in 3 stations serving our community 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.