Firefighter Recruit, South Padre Island TX
South Padre Island, TX
Open Until Filled
Protects life and property by performing fire suppression, basic life support (BLS), hazardous materials and fire prevention duties. Maintains fire equipment, apparatus and facilities.
- Performs fire suppression activities including driving fire apparatus, operating pumps and related equipment, laying hose and performing fire combat, containment and extinguishment tasks.
- Performs first responder activities including administering basic life support (BLS).
- Participates in fire drills, attends classes in fire suppression, emergency medical, hazardous material and related subjects.
- Receives and responds to fire calls and alarms. Operates radio and other communication equipment.
- Participates in the inspection of buildings, hydrants and other structures in fire prevention programs.
- Maintains fire equipment, apparatus and facilities. Performs minor repairs to departmental equipment.
- Performs general maintenance work in the upkeep of fire facilities and equipment to include care for the grounds around the fire station.
- Assists in developing plans for special assignments such as emergency preparedness, hazardous communications, training programs, firefighting hazardous materials and first responder activities.
- Performs rescues such as water, vehicle, trench, high angle, elevator, body recovery, confined space or any other rescue as needed.
- Presents programs to the community on safety, medical and fire prevention topics.
- Performs salvage operations such as throwing salvage covers, sweeping water, and removing debris.
- Performs basic life support (BLS) and advanced life support (ALS) activities.
- Participate in Fire Prevention activities.