Local Newsnevada

  • Fire Wire 9/12

    Article
    Posted: September 1st, 2012

    July 4: Pelham, NH – Fireworks ignited and exploded inside a home, injuring nine people including two children who were airlifted to Boston.   July 5: Virginia Beach, VA – Discarded fireworks in a trash can caused two homes to catch fire. Dispatchers received 59 calls related to fireworks between 10 P.M. and 3 A.M.   July 10...


  • Taking the Pulse Of Local & State Politics

    Article
    Posted: September 1st, 2012

    It’s easy to assume that what happens with the fire service and government where we live is what’s happening everywhere. That may not be true. I just spent a month reviewing articles in newspapers and magazines and on websites about issues facing local, state and federal governments. Although the articles are not always written without...


  • Las Vegas Rescuer: High-Risk Rescue 'Fun'

    News
    LAS VEGAS SUN
    Posted: July 27th, 2012

    As Ray Spigner dangled over the side of the Vdara Hotel, he says he had no worries because he trusted in his equipment, team and training.


  • Laundry Room Fire Damages Northwest Las Vegas Home

    Article
    Posted: February 29th, 2012

    A fire in a northwest Las Vegas home on the morning of February 24 caused $75,000 damage.  Fire investigators determined the fire started in the laundry room of the home, it is believed to be accidental. Two teens on a second floor balcony were rescued by firefighters because their escape route was cut off by dense smoke. A pet dog died in the fire. Firefighters responded to 9013 Zinkmist Court (Fort Apache/Iron Mountain) at 1:06 a.m. Friday.  Occupants told 9-1-1 operators that their...


  • Firewire 2/12

    Article
    Posted: February 1st, 2012

    Pawtucket, RI – Dec. 1, 2011: One woman was displaced by a kitchen fire in her duplex. She was the mother of a Massachusetts National Guardsman who sustained fatal injuries in Afghanistan earlier in the year. Ocala, FL – Dec. 7: Firefighters responded to a morning fire inside a vacant wood-frame dwelling that caused significant damage...


  • Community Service: Creating Public Access to Defibrillation Programs

    Article
    Posted: January 30th, 2012

    Sudden cardiac arrest is one of the leading causes of death in the United States. The survival rate for witnessed, out-of-hospital, sudden cardiac arrest is approximately 5 percent in most communities. But in communities with public access defibrillation (PAD) programs, the survival rate can rise to well above 50 percent. In August 2007, Joe...