Pit Bull Alerts Family to Houston House Fire

HOUSTON --

A family was asleep when a fire broke out in a southeast Houston home Friday.

Firefighters said it started around 4:15 a.m. on Vista Verde Street and Telephone Road.

The family's dog, a 3-year-old pit bull named Gypsie, woke up the homeowner with his barking.

"She started wrestling and growling and stuff," homeowner Didio Trevino said. "I thought she was hearing something outside, then I heard a boom."

The homeowner went to the garage and saw the hot water heater on fire.

The homeowner, his girlfriend and son were able to get out of the one-story home safely, according to investigators.

"I'm grateful for her," Trevino said. "We didn't have smoke detectors."

The house was destroyed. The home next door was also damaged.

Friends and family helped Trevino salvage was left.

"Thankfully, I have family and friends here to support me," he said. "We will get through it. One way or another, we will get through it."

Copyright 2011 by Click2Houston.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Loading