Maryland Firefighter Saves Choking Colleague

The quick actions of a Prince George's County firefighter/paramedic may have saved the life of one of his colleagues.


The quick actions of a Prince George's County firefighter/paramedic may have saved the life of one of his colleagues.

A 43-year-old EMT began choking on a piece of food while setting up for a luncheon at the Forestville Volunteer Fire Department on Wednesday, according to a news release.

She realized that her airway was blocked and needed help. She made several attempt to cough, but was unsuccessful and still couldn't breathe.

Firefighter/Paramedic Sean Roth had just returned from a call around 10:30 a.m. when he saw his colleague clutching her neck.

He moved behind her and applied an abdominal thrust -- a Heimlich maneuver -- and dislodged the obstruction.

Roth evaluated the woman and she declined to be transported to the hospital and returned to setting up the luncheon.