An off-campus duplex fire killed two Emporia State University students early Thursday. started when items strewn over a furnace grate ignited.
The victims, a man and a woman, were international students attending the university, according to The Kansas City Star.
The male was pronounced dead at the scene, while the female died Thursday afternoon at a Wichita hospital.
An autopsy was performed Thursday on the male victim. It was determined he died as a result of inhaling hot gases and products of combustion, according to The Emporia Gazette.
Ed Flentje, interim president of Emporia State University, said in prepared statement: “I am deeply saddened by the death of two of our students. The entire Emporia State community sends thoughts and prayers to their families and friends during this difficult time.”