BAKERSFIELD, Calif. --
Three workers at Community Recycle and Resource Recovery Inc. were rushed to a hospital after being overcome by toxic fumes and one of them has died.
Kern County Fire Department Public Information Officer Sean Collins said that about 11:30 a.m. Wednesday, a call was received by the KCFD regarding two unconscious men in a cement drainage tunnel at the Community Recycling Center, in the 1200 block of North Wheeler Ridge, south of Lamont.
Crews said they found a man and a teen at the base of an eight-foot vertical shaft that linked to the drainage system.
Fire crews used air-monitoring equipment to verify the levels of toxicity and then established air flow to reduce the level of concentration, Collins said.
Crews used a ladder to gain access to the base of the shaft to reach the victims.
A rescuer wearing self-contained breathing apparatus was able to place both, separately, into a rescue harness. The two were then raised them to ground level, and CPR was started on both of them.
A third man who remained at the surface was also treated for inhalation of the fumes.
All three were taken to a local hospital.
The teen, 16-year-old Armando Ramirez was taken to Kern Medical Center where he died.
KC Environmental Health identified the gas as H2S, hydrogen sulfide.
There were no reported injuries to rescuers.
Do you have more information about this story? Contact usReport a typo or inaccuracyCopyright 2011 by TurnTo23.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or red