Dog Dies After Saving Owner's Life From Iowa Fire

WEST DES MOINES, Iowa -- One dog died and another had to be given oxygen after being rescued from a house fire in West Des Moines Tuesday morning. Crews were called to 229 Third St. around 8:55 a.m. "We had an ambulance close by. They got here...


WEST DES MOINES, Iowa --

One dog died and another had to be given oxygen after being rescued from a house fire in West Des Moines Tuesday morning.

Crews were called to 229 Third St. around 8:55 a.m.

"We had an ambulance close by. They got here first and reported that there was smoke showing. The homeowner was outside when we got here. Firefighters went in and were able to put the fire out quickly. It sounds like it was confined to the living room area," said West Des Moines fire spokesman Mike Whitsell.

Homeowner Mike Meyers was not hurt.

Two dogs were also inside when the fire broke out. One dog, Oden, got out and received oxygen from medics, but firefighters said the other dog, Patch, died.

"Firefighters found the sofa on fire. When I got here, the fire was coming out of a window in that room," said Whitsell.

Whitsell said the dogs woke the homeowner up.

"They may have saved his life," said Whitsell.

Whitsell said the cause of the fire appears to be a discarded cigarette. A damage estimate is not yet available.

The homeowner's son said it's ironic that Meyers saved the beagle's life many years ago when he adopted Patch from the Animal Rescue League.

Copyright 2011 by KCCI.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.