Charcoal Grill in Calif. Trailer Kills Two

CLEMENTS, Calif. --

A grandfather and granddaughter died from carbon monoxide poisoning while asleep in their trailer at the Clements Stampede Grounds according to the San Joaquin County Sheriff 's Department.

The two were found Sunday afternoon.

Clements Fire Chief Dave Ingrum said Rick Kovacs, 56, and Jordan Kovacs, 14, went to bed in the front section of the horse trailer, which had been converted to sleeping quarters following a horse show at the Clements Stampede on Saturday.

They put a charcoal grill, which was still burning, in the back half of the 30-foot trailer.

The grill emitted carbon monoxide.

Chief Ingrum said homes and trailers should be equipped with a carbon monoxide detector.

Copyright 2011 by KCRA.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Loading