SAN ANTONIO --
A massive fire at a northeast side nail supply warehouse kept San Antonio fire crews busy as they worked for several hours to get it under control.
Flames broke out around 5 p.m. Tuesday at the facility on the 4000 block of Industrial Center Drive near Perrin Beitel Road. The area was closed to traffic while firefighters battled the blaze.
Fire officials said they didn't yet know a cause for the fire, but the warehouse owner said two employees heard a loud boom inside before evacuating.
San Antonio Fire Department battalion chief Patrick Zepeda said when fire crews arrived, the warehouse was fully engulfed, causing them to take a defensive stance against the flames.
Once inside, Zepeda said palettes of nail polish were on fire, creating fears the fumes and smoke could be toxic.
Nearby businesses, including Chacho's Restaurant, were evacuated as a precaution. "We did air sampling," Zepeda said. "But nothing toxic was found."
Firefighters also said the fire was difficult to manage because the warehouse was made of steel and water was not penetrating through the structure thoroughly.
Firefighters managed to get the flames out, but the building was considered a total loss, officials said. A nearby glass company was also damaged by the fire.
Perrin Beitel Road was re-opened to traffic around 8:30 p.m. No injuries were reported.
Copyright 2011 by KSAT.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.