SOUTH DAYTONA, Fla. --
More than a dozen exotic birds did not make it out of a burning home in South Daytona, firefighter said.
Fire officials said flames erupted from a propane grill Thursday night, sparking a large fire that destroyed the home.
A couple who lives at the home and a friend were able to get out safely.
The couple's 13 birds were in cages on the back porch and were overcome by smoke, firefighters said.
The residents said they were lucky to get out alive.
"We're alive. That's it," Brad Brown said. "Cannot do better than that, you know. Material things can be replaced. Life can't."
The family does have insurance and they plan to rebuild and stay in the neighborhood where they have lived for 38 years.
Copyright 2011 by WESH.COM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.