Four-year-old Chase Johnson's fire engine bed was badly damaged in a blaze and on Wednesday he was brought to Albany Station 11 to see the surprise the firefighters had for him.
Albany firefighters helped bring joy to a young boy this week after a blaze destroyed his home last month.
Four-year-old Chase Johnson's fire engine bed was badly damaged in the fire and on Wednesday he was brought to Station 11 to see the surprise the firefighters had for him, according to The Democrat-Herald.
"Look at that!" he exclaimed once inside the station.
Firefighters had spotted the bed following the June 11 fire at 1415 Calapooia S.W. and thought they could save it.
Firefighter/EMT Damon Martin led the effort, along with the help of his fellow firefighters.
Home Depot, Arts Plus and the Sleep Center donated materials and the firefighters donated their time and not only brought it back to its original form, but also upgraded it.
"We added some local flair to it," Chief John Bradner said.
The bed now displays "Albany Fire Department," "Engine 11" as well as the department's emblem.
Family members were on hand and his mother, Jolynn Soderholdm, told the newspaper that she hopes it will be a fresh start for the family.
A malfunctioning ceiling light caused the blaze that destroyed the home, along with a majority of their belongings.