Colo. Firefighters Exposed to Asbestos at Fire

LONGMONT, Colo. --

A fire broke out early Sunday morning in a Longmont home undergoing asbestos abatement.

At about 2:45 a.m., the Longmont Fire Department was called to a home at 50 East Fifth Avenue, Assistant Chief Jerrod Vanlandingham said. The fire was put out shortly after 3 a.m.

Vanlandingham said the home was unoccupied because it was undergoing asbestos abatement. Firefighters working the scene had to go through a decontamination process as a precaution.

Nearly two dozen people, including 15 Longmont firefighters and support personnel from three other agencies, responded to the blaze.

No one was injured.

The cause of the fire was under investigation, said Vanlandingham.

Report a typo or inaccuracyIf you have a news tip or a follow-up to this story, e-mail us.Copyright 2011 by TheDenverChannel.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, r

Loading