POMPANO BEACH, Fla. --
Firefighters rescued 14 pets from an apartment building where a gas leak sparked a fire Tuesday afternoon.
The fire burned a hole in the roof of an apartment building at 2765 SE First Court.
According to Pompano Beach Fire Rescue, the building was evacuated, and no people were injured in the fire.
However, firefighters rescued eight cats, two dogs, a pet rat and three birds from the burning building. Firefighters performed CPR and gave oxygen to the eight cats, officials said. All 14 animals survived.
Pompano Beach Fire Rescue said a gas leak sparked the fire. Officials are investigating.
Copyright 2011 by Post-Newsweek Stations. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed