A 3-month-old baby boy was rescued by firefighters after he'd suddenly stopped breathing inside a Park Slope home, authorities said.
The baby had suddenly fallen unconscious inside his home on 7th Street near Eight Avenue at about 3:30 p.m. Monday, said fire officials.
The child's frantic mother called 911 and firefighters from Engine Co. 220, just a few blocks away on 11th Street, arrived within minutes to find the child unconscious on the mother's bed and not breathing.
Firefighters went right to work, administering CPR and chest compressions, said Lt. Tom Watson of Engine Co. 220.
About 60 seconds after CPR began, the baby's eyes opened, said Watson, crediting his men for the "lightning fast" response.
EMT's arrived and the firefighters joined the child and the mother, who were rushed to Methodist Hospital.
"On the way to Methodist the baby started to cry," said firefighter Danny Anderson. "That's always a good sign."
"It feels great. It feels awesome. This is why we come to work," added Anderson, who credited fellow firefighters Frank Monte, Dom Santa Maria and Brian Sheehan, for their part in what he called a team effort.
By the time the baby reached the hospital, he was breathing on his own and doing well, said Anderson.
"It's part of the everyday job. Everyone did what they were supposed to do and this is the outcome you look for."
Republished with permission of The New York Post