N.C. Salvage Yard Fire Causes $500K in Damage

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. --

A fire that broke out Friday afternoon at the 109 U Pull It salvage yard on Thomasville Road caused more than $500,000 in damages, Winston-Salem fire officials said Monday.

According to officials, the fire that started as an employee was working on a vehicle caused $18,000 in damage to the building and $500,000 to the contents.

The cause was also officially ruled accidental when "sparks from a saw ignited gasoline leaking from a vehicle," according to the official report.

Officials said a total of 38 fire units were dispatched to the scene to extinguish the blaze.

Twenty-five employees who were inside when the fire started made it out safely.

Copyright 2011 by WXII12.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Loading