3 Children in Texas House Fire on Life Support

EL PASO, Texas --

A family member of the victims who were trapped inside a northeast house fire told KFOX all three children are on life support.

Fire investigators reported a 55-year-old woman died after suffering smoke inhalation in a northeast El Paso fire. The 55-year-old grandmother and a 7-year-old boy both suffered serious injuries, fire investigators said.

El Paso fire crews rescued five family members from the home. The grandmother, who lives in the home, suffered smoke inhalation and was taken to William Beaumont Medical in critical condition.

A 50-year-old man suffered second-degree burns to his hands and feet. He was taken to Sierra Providence East in critical condition, along with a 7-year-old boy who was in critical condition.

Both adults and the 7-year-old boy were airlifted to the Lubbock Burn Center. A 10-year-old girl and 14-year-old were taken to University Medical Center in critical condition. Fire investigators said all the victims suffered smoke inhalation.

"They were pumping on some people's chest," said neighbor Timothy Ouchley.

The blaze happened in the 10100 block of Wolverine Avenue at about 1:20 a.m.

The El Paso Fire Department told KFOX-14 there were no working smoke detectors in the house.

Nearly 70 firefighters were called to the scene because there was concern the fire would spread to neighboring homes and trees in the area.

"The home did have ... quick release ... security bars. We are going to look at that to see if they were functional," Spokesman for the El Paso Fire Department John Concha said.

The cause of the fire is still under investigation, but investigators said the fire started in the living room of the home.

Investigators estimate the damage to be $90,000.

Home Fire Safety

* Perform a home safety inspection with spring cleaning - Remember most injuries occur in and around the home. Some can be lethal. Almost all home injuries can be prevented.

* Store any flammable substances properly. Flammable substances are those that catch fire easily. Gasoline is the most common. Remember: gasoline vapors can travel several feet and find an ignition source. Paint, butane, nail polish, lighter fluid and kerosene are all considered flammable.

* Heater safety and fireplaces safety is the primary concern during the winter.

- Install and check smoke detectors

- Install and check carbon monoxide detectors

- Never use gasoline to start a fire in the fireplace

- Keep wood stacked and covered outdoors

- Keep the area around fireplace and chimney clean

- Keep the space around the heater clean. Don't store combustible items near the heater.

* Check smoke detectors once a month.

* Change detector batteries twice yearly. A good way to remember is to change them when you change your clocks.

* Place smoke detectors on each level of a home.

* Kitchen safety tips.

- Keep the area around the stove clear.

- Move pan handles so that they don't stick out from the stove. Otherwise they can get bumped and knocked over. Also small children may be tempted to grab them spilling hot food and liquid on top of themselves or others.

- Read your microwave owners manual carefully. Placing the wrong items in a microwave may start a fire.

* Practice home fire escape plans.

- Everyone should know what to do if a fire breaks out in a home

- Remember children may have trouble reacting to a smoke detector's alarm. They need to be taught what to do.

- Remember: Plan, Prepare, and Practice escaping from a fire.

Copyright 2011 by . All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Loading