Burned Colo. Boy Taken to Utah for Treatment

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- A 10-year-old critically boy burned in a Colorado Springs house fire has been transferred to a burn center in Salt Lake City. The boy and his father were originally taken to burn units in Aurora for treatment...


COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. --

A 10-year-old critically boy burned in a Colorado Springs house fire has been transferred to a burn center in Salt Lake City.

The boy and his father were originally taken to burn units in Aurora for treatment following the fire early Monday morning.

Ten other people also escaped from the home, which was left uninhabitable by the fire. Four children were taken to the hospital, where they were treated and released.

Neighbor Beth Bidwell told KRDO-TV that the boy, identified as Tyler Valcoure, was burned from head to toe.

"He didn’t have any skin on his feet at all; they were all just raw, completely raw," she said. Bidwell said the boy was talking, but looked like he was going to go into shock. "He was badly burnt head to toe. His hair was singed right up to his head."

Tyler's uncle, Garrett, said Tyler's father had burns on his hands and legs, which he had suffered when he ran back into the home to get his son. Tyler was hiding in his bedroom, he said.

"We think Tyler was scared," Garrett told KRDO.

Tyler was later flown to the University of Utah Health Care Burn Center in Salt Lake City, where he was in critical condition, according to hospital spokeswoman Kathy Wilets.

His father, Tom Valcoure, remains at University Hospital in Aurora with burns to 50 percent of his body.

Bidwell said Tom made it to her front porch and collapsed. "He was so bad, he was screaming in pain," she said.

Two of the dogs that were kenneled in the garage died in the fire. A cat was severely burned.

KKTV talked with a woman who lives in the home, and who is Tyler's grandmother and Tom's mother. Deaunna “Mickey” Valcoure told the TV station said that three of her children, two of their fiances and seven grandchildren were living in the house at the time of the fire. Her son and his fiance had just moved their stuff in the garage several ago to store it while they're in transition from one apartment to another, she said.

Firefighters said it appears the fire may have started in the home's garage around 3:45 a.m. Monday and quickly spread to the two-story home. The investigation into how the fire started is still underway.

Flames were about 20 feet high but firefighters were able to keep the blaze from spreading to neighboring houses less than 20 feet away.

The family did not have renters insurance or medical insurance, Mickey said. She said she's appreciative for the outpouring of support from the community.

Donations can be dropped off on the front porch of a family member's home at 2325 Lark Drive, near East Van Buren Street, in Colorado Springs. There's also has a mail slot for any cash donations.

Report a typo or inaccuracyCopyright 2011 by TheDenverChannel.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.