ANDERSON TOWNSHIP, Ohio --
An attempt to drill a geothermal well in Anderson Township was interrupted when the drilling rig hit a gas pocket and started a fire.
The drilling was taking place behind a home in the 2100 block of Hunters Point Lane at about 9 a.m. when the rig ignited a pocket of methane gas, fire officials said.
"I looked out my back window and saw this huge flame shooting up, then I heard the sirens and everything," said Krista Paolucci, a neighbor.
Firefighters contained the fire until the gas leak ran out just after 1:30 p.m.
No injuries were reported. No damage was reported to the home or nearby homes.
Copyright 2011 by WLWT.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.