Fire Hits Popular Kansas Restaurant

SHAWNEE, Kan. --

A popular Shawnee restaurant was evacuated Sunday afternoon after an employee reported seeing smoke coming from its light fixtures.

Customers at Paolo and Bill at 16501 Midland Drive said they first smelled smoke at about 2:30 p.m., but they initially thought someone was smoking cigarettes outside.

When the worker spotted smoke from the light fixtures, customers and employees quickly got out. No injuries were reported.

Crews cut into the roof of the building's entry while fighting the fire.

Shawnee Fire Marshal John Mattox said the restaurant won't be able to reopen right away.

"Obviously, the electricity, we're going to be looking at that in this front entrance," Mattox said. "Having some electrical wires damaged now in the front entrance from the fire, all that's going to have to be repaired before they can get their business back up and open."

Lenexa firefighters also came to the scene to help.

Copyright 2011 by KMBC.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Loading