Propane Blamed for Florida Mansion Blast


Explosions sparked by a gas leak just destroyed a large home in West Orange County Thursday. Firefighters were called out to the home on San Remo Place near Conroy Windermere Road just before 3:00pm at the Fayette Club Community.

Several firefighters responded when neighbors heard explosions. Firefighters battled the massive house fire and said on one was injured.

Firefighters targeted the pool area of the 4,500 square-foot home. It's where the homeowner said a new 300-gallon propane tank to warm his pool was refilled Thursday morning, but apparently it had a leak and exploded.

"I was leaving for my office. She calls 911," homeowner Roy Beckett said.

Beckett's grandchildren, wife and dog, Nelson, were all inside at the time of the fire, but they got out safely. He ran up and down the street looking for them as firefighters worked to get the fire under control.

Other neighbors stood by worried about their own homes as the fire spread, but Orange County Fire Rescue spent more than one hour spraying water to contain the flames.

Surprisingly, as Beckett watched the fire destroy his home, he was in good spirits.

"I'm starting off the New Year. I'm going to get over it," he said.

The fire marshal hasn't been able to get inside the large home to investigate the leak.

Copyright 2010 by All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.