Seattle Fire has finished with a hazmat incident at the University of Washington’s Henderson Hall, the Applied Physics Lab.
Sue Stangl with the Seattle Fire Department said the building was evacuated.
The problem substance is flourine gas. The gas, which is toxic, was stopped from spreading.
Seattle Fire said 3 to 4 cubic centimeters of the gas was released on the first floor lab. A lab technician said he heard a hiss, turned off the valve and left to call 9-1-1.
Lt. Stangl said the hazmat team members suited up in what is called "level A" protection and entered the lab where the gas leaked to make sure the nozzle is closed.
When haz mat crews made it into the lab, they confirmed the nozzle was closed. The amount of flourine was very minimal, according to Stangl.
The incident began at about 4:30 p.m. Friday.
The building has been turned over to the University for clean up.
Copyright 2010 by KIROTV.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.