Three L.A. Firefighters Burned in Blaze

Three Los Angeles firefighters were burned and a teenage boy was pulled from a blaze in Sherman Oaks yesterday morning (Aug. 10).

The Associated Press is reporting that the 14-year-old boy has The teen -- who also suffered serious burns -- died at Sherman Oaks Hospital hours follwoing the house.

The firefighters sustained second-dregree burns to their hands and extremities and were transported to the Grossman Burn Center at West Hills Hospital, according to a LAFD press release.

Another firefighter was transported to a hospital for a knee injury.

All four firefighters were treated and released and remain off duty.

Crews responded to the fire at 4822 Tilden Avenue at approximately 6:30 a.m. The house was fully involved and there were reports of one or more people trapped in the blaze.

A group of firefighters began an interior attack while another group made their way to the roof and used power saws and hand tools to ventilate the smoke from the wood frame and stucco structure.

A 58-year-old man, a 50-year-old woman and a 12-year-old girl escaped the fire with varying injuries and were treated on scene.

The victims relayed to firefighters that a teenage boy remained trapped by the blaze.

Crews began to search the 3,000-plus-square-foot building with zero visibility and found a narrow metal spiral staircase leading to a level above the first floor.

Firefighters found the missing teen, who was without a pulse and was not breathing. He was carried out of the house and provided CPR and ALS by awaiting paramedics.

The 58-year-old man sustained second- and third-degree burns to his right forearm and second degree burns to his right foot. He and the 12-year-old girl are also at Sherman Oaks Hospital and are in serious condition.

The 50-year-old woman escaped the fire without obvious physical injury and declined medical treatment.

There was no immediate evidence of functional smoke alarms and the the 86-year-old building was not equipped with residential fire sprinklers, according to the department.

Crews were able to successfully extinguish the flames in just over 30 minutes.