Carbon Monoxide Sends 6 to Florida Hospital

OCALA, Fla. --

Six people, including three children, were taken to the hospital Saturday morning after they inhaled carbon monoxide in their Ocala apartment, according to Ocala fire officials.

Firefighters responded to a unit at the Sutton Place Apartments at 550 NE 23rd Circle around 10:30 a.m.

The six people showed severe signs of carbon monoxide poisoning, officials said. They were taken by ambulance to Munroe Regional Medical Center.

The children range in age from four to ten-years-old.

A firefighter on scene told WFTV he suspected that a vent line from a heating unit might have become blocked because of on-going roof work. That may have caused the odorless gas to fill the apartment.

A building official from the city of Ocala as well as representatives from TECO Gas were called to the scene to investigate.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas that can cause death in high concentrations, Ocala fire officials said.

Six People Hospitalized With Carbon Monoxide Poisioning

Copyright 2010 by wftv.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Loading