Troubled Ind. Capt.'s Fate in Safety Board's Hands


A Clarksville fire captain's job now rests in the hands of two men.

A hearing Thursday morning was held for Gary Crowe Jr. to decide his fate with the town's fire department after he was arrested twice this year.

Crowe could face more suspension, be demoted or dismissed.

No decision was made, but for two hours, two men from the town safety board listened to the testimony of fellow firefighters and even Crowe himself, speaking about why the firefighter shouldn't lose his job.

"I'm a good field officer. I don't like to brag about myself, but I'm a good field officer. I've just got an alcohol problem," Crowe said.

Crowe was arrested in January for burglary after he climbed a fence and attempted to kick in a door of his ex-girlfriend's home.

Then in July, Crowe was arrested again on charges he drove his motorcycle under the influence of alcohol.

He's been on administrative leave without pay for 146 days so far.

Last week, Crowe entered a guilty plea to a lesser charge of public intoxication and the felony charges stemming from the January arrest were all dismissed.

Crowe was apologetic Thursday and often emotional while he told the town safety board he's changed, and said that while he should be disciplined, he doesn't want to lose his job.

"I'm going to do my damnedest to be a man, stand up and take responsibility for my actions and get structure back into my life. That's what I'm doing I've had some hard knocks, but you can see I'm still standing," Crowe said. "I'm going to do better."

The safety board must decide whether or not Crowe's actions were unbecoming of an officer and caused danger to the community.

Tat decision is expected Nov. 10.

Crowe is already serving probation, submitting to daily Breathalyzer tests and using an ignition interlock device on his vehicle.

Copyright 2010 by ©2010 Hearst Properties Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.