Pa. Woman Rescued From House Fire

A Bethlehem woman was rescued from her burning home early Tuesday morning and officials have ruled the cause of the blaze as accidental. The 72-year-old victim, Sandra Royal, was not seriously injured and was treated at the scene, said Bethlehem fire...


A Bethlehem woman was rescued from her burning home early Tuesday morning and officials have ruled the cause of the blaze as accidental.

The 72-year-old victim, Sandra Royal, was not seriously injured and was treated at the scene, said Bethlehem fire Marshal Robert Novatnack. The fire began in a second-floor bedroom of her home at 2538 Nottingham Road.

Novatnack said the fire appeared to be sparked near some electrical devices plugged into the wall.

Royal told fire officials she awoke around 3:30 a.m. to hear objects falling on the floor. Fire officials said the sounds came from items falling off the wall as the fire burned in another bedroom.

Royal was able to open the window and scream for help. A neighbor heard her cries and called 911. Novatnack said firefighters put a ladder to Royal's bedroom and she escaped without serious injuries. Royal was treated by emergency personnel at the scene.

Royal will not be able to live at the home and is staying with relatives. Novatnack estimated damages from the blaze at $80,000 for damage to the structure and contents.

He said fire officials were able to extinguish the flames within minutes after Royal was rescued.

McClatchy-Tribune News Service