Detroit Toddler Saved from House Fire

DETROIT -- A 2-year-old Detroit girl is recovering at Childrens Hospital after being pulled from a burning home Sunday on the citys west side. Family members of Armani Hunt said the toddler suffered smoke...


DETROIT --

A 2-year-old Detroit girl is recovering at Childrens Hospital after being pulled from a burning home Sunday on the citys west side.

Family members of Armani Hunt said the toddler suffered smoke inhalation after a fast-moving fire inside her parents house on the 2200 block of Ford Street.

"You could feel it over here. There was thick billowing smoke and then the windows burst," said neighbor Kim Cooper. "Then, we saw the flames."

Hunts father, Anderson Hunt, said the girls 5-year-old brother started the fire accidentally when he was playing with a lighter.

Neighbor Keith Jones said he and two other men tried to rescue Hunt from a back bedroom, but were unable to.

"She (Armani Hunt's mother) ran from the back saying, 'My baby's in the house. ' That's all I heard. I instinctively went in there," Jones said. "At that time, the fire department, nobody, was around."

Detroit firefighters pulled the girl from the house.

The girl's 42-year-old mother was also taken to a hospital for burns.

Copyright 2010 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.