Construction of the station began. According to a local newspaper article, the Dilworth Station was the same size and design as Station No. 1 headquarters on East Fifth Street.
W.S.Orr, the chief of the Fire Department, reported to the Board of Public Safety that the station was complete and equipped. Two horses were purchased for the station, along with equipment like a combination hose and chemical wagon with two ladders attached.
The era of horse-drawn fire engines ended in Charlotte.
The Dilworth station could no longer accommodate the larger motorized equipment. The city purchased a lot across the Boulevard from the old station and built a new one, which still serves the area today.
June 29, 1948:
The old station was sold to W. E. Price and Ethel R. DeLaney, who held the property until 1976.
The station was deeded to the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Fire Museum, a nonprofit corporation dedicated to the preservation and restoration of the old Dilworth Station No. 2.
Copyright 2010 by . All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.