Flint to Reopen Stations, Rehire FFs

FLINT, Mich. --

 

In a turnaround of Flint's fortunes, Rep. Dale E. Kildee, D-Mich., announced Wednesday that he has successfully helped the city of Flint secure a grant from the Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response Program.

The $6.7 million grant is expected to allow the city to rehire up to 39 firefighters and reopen two fire stations.

Flint Mayor Dayne Walling said Wednesday evening the city will begin rehiring 23 laid off firefighters within the next few days.

Earlier this year, Kildee wrote to the Federal Emergency Management Agency, which administers the grant, requesting that the grant be awarded to Flint.

At the congressman's urging, Dr. Edward Montgomery, the White House auto communities director, also urged FEMA to award the grant to the city.

The funding for the grant was made available through the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.

"I am extremely pleased that I was able to help secure this extremely important funding for the city of Flint," said Kildee. "This grant is expected to allow the city to rehire 39 firefighters, putting people back to work while helping keep us safe."

The SAFER grant can be used for up to 100 percent of a firefighter's salary for up to two years.

"This grant is extremely good news for Flint, and I am proud that I could help bring these funds to our community," said Kildee.

Sixty-nine public safety officials were aid off two weeks ago in an effort to curb the city's projected $8 million deficit at the end of the fiscal year

Copyright 2010 by WNEM.COM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Loading