Three young children and their mother were severely burned in a southeast Houston house fire, KPRC Local 2 reported.
The home on Avenue L at 93rd Street caught fire just after 4 a.m. Sunday
Firefighters had to break down the front door to reach the children that were trapped inside the home.
Ten-year-old Issac Ortega, and his two younger sisters, 7-year-old Brenda and 8-year-old Sonia were flown to Shriners Hospital in Galveston, where they are being treated for second-degree and third-degree burns.
Their grandmother said the two girls will undergo surgery Monday.
"I know they have a long road a head of them of their healing, not only physically but mentally and they have a long way to go and it's gonna take a long time but the support and love of their family and their friends I know is gonna help them a whole lot," the children's grandmother Patricia Trevino said.
The children's mother, 33-year-old Stephanie Trevino Ortega was also burned more than 50 percent of her body. She is in stable condition at Memorial Hermann hosptital.
Firefighters believe a space heater may have started the fire.
Copyright 2010 by Click2Houston.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.