VANCOUVER, Wash. --
Firefighters helped remove a boy's tongue from a flag pole at a Vancouver middle school on Wednesday morning.
A crew from Clark County Fire District 6 was called to Alki Middle School at 8:58 a.m.
Firefighter Mike Swanson then applied warm water to the boy's tongue to get it unstuck.
The firefighter crew gave the boy hot chocolate and cookies and he required no further medical attention.
"This is a first my 18 years with the fire district," Swanson said.
A news release from the fire department said that even when issued a "triple-dog dare," they advise people against putting their tongue on a metal pole in the cold.
The fire department released a blurry photo of the incident to media in order to show the pole but hide the boy's identity.
Copyright 2009 by KPTV.com. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.