FFs Impeded in Fatal Las Vegas Fire

LAS VEGAS --

Las Vegas firefighters are urging families to check the batteries in their smoke detectors following the death of an elderly woman in a fire Tuesday morning.

The fire started about 4:30 a.m. on Beverly Way near Sahara Avenue and Las Vegas Boulevard.

The cause of the womans death hasnt been made public, but fire department representative Tim Szymanski said it was likely the home did not have a smoke alarm.

Szymanski said windows on the womans home were barred and the interior was littered with debris, making it difficult for firefighters trying to get to the bedroom.

An elderly person who lives [alone], they do not get out enough, they are not good with taking the trash out, things of that nature, he said.

The public can contact the Las Vegas Fire and Rescue headquarters at 702-383-2888 to request a smoke detector.

Copyright 2009 by KVVU.com. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Loading