Firefighters battled a fire that spread to three homes in Northeast DC.
WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Firefighters battled a fire that spread to three homes in Northeast DC.
The fire broke out in a home in the 2200 block of Douglas Street shortly before 10 a.m. Thursday. The fire spread to two other homes. DC Fire & EMS Department Chief Dennis Rubin says two of the homes were destroyed, and one is moderately damaged.
No one was hurt.
Nervalee Harris Myers and her husband, Bernard, were at their children's school when it happened.
"When I get to the house, it's all inflamed. Nothing could have survived it," Bernard said.
Theirs was the center house, quite possibly the home where the fire originated.
"My husband grew up in that home," said Nervalee. "The kids, they know that to be home. They don't know anything else."
Chief Rubin says when firefighters arrived, electrical wires became an added danger.
"There was a lot of pops, simply because the power lines," he said. "It was still energized. It could have electrocuted the firefighters."
Republished with permission of WUSA-TV.