Two Critical After Oklahoma Motel Explosion

YUKON, Okla. --

Two people were critically hurt -- including a woman eight months pregnant -- in an explosion at a metro motel, police confirmed.

A spokeswoman with the Emergency Medical Services Authority confirmed that paramedics had been called to the explosion at the Guest Inn on Main Street in Yukon. Police said two people were taken to a local hospital with injuries after the explosion, which happened at about 6 p.m.

One of the people injured was taken to Integris, and the other was taken to OU Medical Center, police said.

Police said one of the victims was eight months pregnant. She was in a laundry room closest to the blast.

"She had burns on her hands, face, lips, even possibly her belly," Yukon police spokeswoman Klare Ly said.

The source of the explosion and fire was not immediately known; however, police said there had been some construction going on in the building over the last few days.

The force of the blast sent the doors off their hinges and into the parking lot. At first, rumors spread that the explosion resulted from a meth lab, but firefighters quickly ruled that out. Bonnie said she thinks it could have been fumes from crews working on the roof.

Bonnie Zeospiar, a motel guest, said her windows rattled and doors shook when the room directly across from her exploded.

"I threw open the curtain, saw flames billowing out (with) smoke and freaked out ... and, all of the sudden, I heard this huge 'kablam,' and you could just see the roof, pieces of the roof and glass everywhere," she said.

"They have been re-tarring the roof over my section all day today. So, if it was the fumes and stuff, that could have been me," Zeospiar said.

Zeospiar said all she's worried about is that the woman who was burned is OK.

Copyright 2009 by koco.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Loading