20 People Rescued from Pennsylvania Fire

LANCASTER, Pa. --

As many as 20 people had to be rescued from a fire at an apartment building in Lancaster Sunday.

Careless smoking sparked the blaze in a fifth-floor apartment of the Stevens House Condominiums on South Prince Street Sunday afternoon, firefighters said.

Even though the blaze was contained to that apartment, heavy smoke forced the evacuation of the entire building and several people had to be rescued.

Careless smoking sparked the blaze in a fifth-floor apartment of the Stevens House Condominiums on South Prince Street Sunday afternoon, firefighters said.

"A lot of people were on the top floors on the balconies and they were safe for the time being and we got them out. But it was a stressful, stressful situation," said Battalion Chief Jeffrey Oatman.

"Everything was black, black smoke coming out. First thing I said, 'Did anyone get hurt?' because I'd feel bad because someone got hurt because of a fire in my apartment," said Michael Kauffman.

Two tenants were treated for smoke inhalation and three firefighters were treated for heat exhaustion, but fire officials said that they are fine now.

Tenants were allowed back inside, except for those living in the 15 units closest to where the fire started.

Copyright 2009 by WGAL.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Loading